Even though every human on the planet has stored body fat of differing amounts, it is surprising how little most people actually know about its functions in life. This may be because the science of body fat is relatively new only gaining real interest since the mid-’90s. Listen and learn body fats hidden secrets. Fat is so much more than a wobbly store of excess calories, it interacts, communicates, and even supports healthy body processes. Dr Sylvia Tara, the author of The Secret Life of Fat, kickstarts season 3 with a great interview.
Sylvia Tara holds a PhD in biochemistry from The University of California, San Diego and an MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. She was a healthcare management consultant with McKinsey & Company and has worked for the world’s largest biotechnology companies.
After an extended battle with her own body fat, Dr Tara became fascinated with its resiliency and embarked on a mission to better understand it. Her book, The Secret Life of Fat, is the culmination of years of research and interviews with physicians, patients and leading scientists.
You can learn more about Dr Tara by visiting her personal website.
Episode content: Body fats hidden secrets
This episode is essential listening for anyone who has struggled with their own body fat levels, or for anyone who coaches others to manage their body fat more effectively. Listen and learn body fat’s hidden secrets with Dr Tara, there are great insights and helpful coaching tips.
- 1:56 Why listen to this episode
- 4:33 The major roles of body fat in human physiology and health
- 7:07 The recommended level of body fat in males and females to maintain health
- 10:52 The obesity paradox
- 16:30 Different coloured body fat and its purposes
- 19:24 Hormonal factors produced by body fat
- 22:50 A story of how genetic leptin defects interfere with health and hunger
- 27:26 Weight loss and the role of willpower and calories
- 30:44 The impact of obesity on coronavirus pandemic
- 33:04 Suggested strategies for effectively managing body fat levels
Connect with Dr Tara over social media
Buy Dr Tara’s book
Available to purchase on Amazon Kindle
Rate the show:
If you enjoyed this episode, then please rate the show, give a short review, and share it with your friends so they can benefit from this free expert information. Your comments and feedback are always welcome. Please subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or the video series on YouTube so you will receive each update immediately upon release. It also helps the show rank higher and reach more people.
For other great episodes and expert guests on the Fit to Succeed show, visit our full podcast library archive.