Exercise and fitness is often a priority, but it often has to be squeezed into the busy lives we all lead, which may mean that physical activity, training, recreational or elite sport is more and more often happens in the evening and into the night. In this episode, we discuss with our excellent guest whether sleep problems can result from late exercise habits and whether sleep problems can have a negative impact on our fitness and performance.
Dr Ian is the Director of Melius Consulting and Sleep4Performance and previously completed a PhD with the University of Western Australia (UWA), where he worked with elite sporting organisations/athletes to optimise performance. Ian is highly sought after with professional athletes, working with Olympic and elite athletes with the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) and professional teams in Super Rugby, Basketball, Australian Rules Football (AFL) and martial arts. He has also been featured on the health report on ABC radio, ABC radio national and numerous podcasts. Ian has appeared on ABC television, Channel 7, 9 and 10 in Australia. He was a TEDx Perth speaker in 2017.
Episode content: Sleep problems
There really is some great topical discussion worth listening to that may influence your actions and behaviour around sleep and how it affects your day. The key content is:
- 1:38: Importance of sleep for fitness and performance
- 2:50 Why Dr Dunican chose to study the link between sleep and physical performance
- 11:40 Understanding the physiology and staging of sleep during the night
- 17:43 How a lack of deep sleep or REM sleep might impact exercise and performance
- 24:15 Connection between stress physiology and sleep physiology
- 32:23 Brief discussion on sleep and its influence on exercise recovery
- 39:10 Impact of a lack of sleep on mental function, including depression
- 44:20 Lack of sleep and mental toughness in relation to intense exercise
Connect with Ian on social media
Rate the show
If you enjoyed this episode, then please rate the show, give a short review, and share it with your friends so they can benefit from this free expert information. Your comments and feedback are always welcome. Please subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or the video series on YouTube so you will receive each update immediately upon release.
For other great episodes and expert guests on the Fit to Succeed show, visit our full podcast library.